GCI is seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as a Communications Intern at its Kumba office. You will be primarily responsible for managing communications and public relations on behalf of the organization, including running social media, writing press releases and newsletters, and managing the weekly radio programme. You will also be responsible for helping restart and run the Media Watch Project, a programme that monitors human rights in the media, trains journalists on human rights reporting, and conducts advocacy campaigns in conjunction with local and national media outlets. Finally, you will have the opportunity to create and pursue projects on behalf of the organization within the scope of human rights.
Mandatory Qualifications and Qualities:
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication
- Basic knowledge and interest in human rights
- Experience with website development and social media
- Working toward a B.A. or higher in journalism, communications, human rights, or a related field
- Experience in communications, development, journalism, or a related field
- Fluency in English
- Willingness to learn Cameroonian Pidgin
- Strong leadership skills and creative problem solving
- Cross-cultural experience and sensitivity
- Ability to self-direct and take initiative
- Experience working with project development and implementation
Desired Qualifications and Qualities:
- Experience working in the developing world
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Communications Intern” as the subject line:
1. Cover Letter
Please send a cover letter of 1-2 pages, answering the following questions:
- Why do you want to serve as a GCI Communications Intern?
- What specific experience and skills do you have in communications and development in the non-profit field?
- What experiences, if any, do you have in human rights work? Please detail.
- What experiences, if any, do you have in the developing world? Please detail.
- When and for how long you can commit to this position?
- Work history
- Volunteer experience
- Contact information
If you have any questions about the internship please email us at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org