As an intern with GCI in the Prisoners´ Rights Project (PRP) you will be working with local barristers to improve the conditions for the detainees in the Kumba Principal Prison. As the project was reinstated in February 2012 after a two-year dormancy, the current project is still in the initial phases. Your task will be to carry on the process of establishing the PRP in Kumba by networking with lawyers and other Human Rights activists, meeting with officials who have the power to improve the situation in the prisons, organizing and performing human and legal rights workshops to prisoners and prison officials, collaborating for prisoners’ legal aid – and of course, you will have the opportunity to build on the structure of the project, making it more effective. Interns are expected to engage in all aspects of the organization including development, administrative duties, fundraising, event planning, and innovative growth. The vast majority of your work will be developing the PRP with the goal of fostering change and justice in Human Rights violations.
Mandatory Qualifications and Qualities:
- Knowledge of Criminal Law and ability to become acquainted with the Cameroonian Law System
- Strong ability in written communication
- Fluency in English
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work independently
- Self-confidence and assertion in persuasive speaking
- Previous cross-cultural experience and sensitivity
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to self-direct and take initiative
- Experience working with project development and implementation
- Willingness to learn Cameroonian Pidgin
- Working towards B.A. or higher in Law, Political Science or related field.
Desired Qualifications and Qualities:
- Previous experience in the developing world
- Fundraising/Grant-Writing experience
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “PRP Internship.”
A Letter of Motivation
Please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to intern with GCI?
- Which project do you wish to join? Why?
- What specific skills and experience will you bring to this project and to GCI?
- What previous experience have you had working in developing nations?
- Do you plan to conduct your own research in fulfillment of university requirements in addition to the internship? If so, please explain what your project will be and how you forsee GCI staff being of assistance in this respect.
- When do you wish to arrive and how long do you wish to stay?
- Work history
- Volunteer experience
- Skills and expertise
If you have any questions about the internship or the project, please email us at this address: email@example.com