Global Conscience Initiative Cameroon is seeking a Grant Writer Intern with experience in fundraising and program evaluation. This position’s location is flexible. We will accept applications of candidates who want to work for the advancement of a local African NGO but are unavailable to travel to Cameroon; worldwide applications are also accepted. This is a great opportunity for individuals with experience in international development, peace and conflict resolution who would like to volunteer with an indigenous peace initiative. This position will also be a chance for recent graduates to expand their experience in the field of international development.
After acquainting yourself with the organization’s history and current programmes, you will begin researching all possible funding opportunities for GCI from foundations, foreign governments, embassies, and international organizations looking to fund Capacity Building and Peace Initiatives in Africa. You will then advise GCI staff on the best options for obtaining funding, helping draft and edit a range of grant proposals. In addition, you will brainstorm and plan fundraising events for the organization. You will communicate on a regular basis with the GCI staff, submitting weekly progress reports via e-mail to the Managing Director.
Mandatory Qualifications and Qualities:
- Prior experience in research and grant writing
- Prior experience in corporate outreach
- Strong desire to assist an African NGO in fundraising
- Superior research, writing, and proofreading skills
- Knowledge of human rights and development issues and a commitment towards working for a more just and sustainable world
- Professional attitude and ability to represent GCI to potential funders in person, over the phone or through email
- Detail-oriented with strong abilities to work with a diverse set of individuals and team
- Ability to manage communications with the GCI office in Cameroon and other staff members based in the United States
- Ability to manage time efficiently and to multi-task Proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- On-going or completed master’s level coursework in fundraising, non-profit management, or development
How to Apply:
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grant Writer Intern” as the subject line.
1. Cover Letter
- Why do you want to volunteer as a Grant Writer for GCI?
- What specific experience and skills do you have in grant writing and fundraising for non-profits? Please specify the context of all previous successful grant applications.
- When and for how long you can commit to this position?
- Please state the location you intend to work from and the approximate amount of time per week you can commit for your work for GCI.
- In addition, please explain any previous experience you have had working with NGOs in a developing country.
- Contact information
- Work history
- Volunteer experience
If you have any questions about the internship please email us at email@example.com.